- How do I?
- About Us
- Be Involved
- Books, Music, and Movies
- Discover, Investigate, Grow
- Beloit and Beyond
About ABC Playgroup
ABC Playgroup is a fun and FREE way for children to learn kindergarten reading skills through playing, singing, talking and writing. All of our materials and stories are designed to promote 5 skills:
- Letter Shapes
- Letter Sounds
- Background Knowledge
- Concepts of Print
Playgroup meets Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m.
- September 12th, 19th, and 26th
- October 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, and 31st
- November 7th, 14th, and 28th (no Playgroup on November 21st)
- December 5th and 12th
A-Z Do a Dot Letters These sheets are a fun way for children to interact with Letter Shapes to encourage letter recognition. You can also have your child(ren) tell you or draw things that begin with this letter and even make these into their own ABC book.
First School Preschool Activities and Crafts This website provides support for Letter Recognition, Letter Sounds, and Writing Skills for letters A-Z!
Flocabulary Kindergarten Words This website is a wonderful resource for age appropriate vocabulary. A great way to use this is to casually mention these words as you talk and read with your child(ren). For example, you could say, "Look at that flower open or bloom!"
Concepts of Print on Pinterest Concepts of print means a child can hold the book and turn the pages correctly, understand the difference between a letter, a word, and a sentence, and reads from left to right. Here are some great ideas to practice at home!
Strategies for Teaching Writing for Kindergarten This Scholastic resources provides general information and many examples of easy, at home writing practice activities to support your child(ren) with writing.
These are supplementary home activities based on our thematic playgroups.
- April Fool's Day and the Letter A
- Building and the Letter B
- Dr. Seuss and the Letter D
- Emotions and the Letter E
- Emotions Faces - scared, happy, sad, angry, surprised, and silly
- Farms and the Letter F
- Heroes and the Letter H
- Library and the Letter L
- Move Your Body and the Lettter M
- Spring and the Letter S
- Transportation and the Letter T
- Valentine's Day and the Letter V